The Long Duddon is a classic fell race covering 18 miles around the head of the Duddon Valley with 6000ft of climb over Harter, Hardknott, Little Stand, Swirl How, Dow Crag, White Pike and Caw.
The Short Duddon is run at the same time over a 10 mile race with 3000 feet of climb up Dow and Caw. Both are category A fell races so navigational ability, proper kit and some idea of what you're doing are all essential.
Both races can be entered on the day, but if possible please pre-enter the long race using the form you can find in the downloads list on the right.
- All competitors must have completed similar events or have mountaineering skills suited to fast travel in rough mountain terrain.
- A competitor must be proficient in the use of map and compass in bad visibility.
- In addition to the standard equipment of a map covering the race area, a compass and a whistle, full body cover must be worn or carried throughout the event.
- You are also advised to carry food and water.
- The route is mainly single track from the start until Wallowbarrow farm.
- The bridleway above Grassguards (on the way to Harter) is wet and boggy due to logging work.
- Particular care is required on the way down from Little Stand (GR 250033) and White Pike (GR 248955).
- The quarry cliff in the vicinity of GR 247958 is not marked on some small scale maps.
- There is very little water on the course after the Three Shires Stone.
- The terrain is difficult, especially in poor visibility.
If there's anything else you'd like to see here, please let Will know.
Entry forms should go to James Goffe at Spring Bank, Bank End, Broughton-in-Furness, Cumbria LA20 6DR. For all other enquiries please contact James on 01229 716869 or james at duddonvalleyfellrace.org.uk.
Full body cover, map, whistle. Food and water advisable.
- Start SD 221 963
- 1: Harter SD 217 997
- 2: Hardknott NY 230 023
- 3: Little Stand NY 249 033
- 4: Three Shires NY 2760 0271
- 5: Swirl How NY 271 005
- 6: Under Dow Crag SD 261 977
- 7: White Pike SD 248 955
- 8: Caw SD 229 944
- 9: Wall crossing SD 229 953
- Finish SD 226 959
- M: 2:42:35, Ian Holmes, 2007
- L: 3:11:26, Janet McIver, 2008
Full windproof body cover. Map, compass, whistle.
- Start SD 226 959
- 1: Caw Quarry SD 228 948
- 2: Walna Quarry SD 246 961
- 3: Wall corner SD 250 977
- 4: Under Dow Crag SD 261 977
- 5: White Pike SD 248 955
- 6: Caw SD 229 944
- 7: Wall crossing SD 229 953
- Finish SD 226 959